Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Homemade Meat Curry Powder

This meat curry powder is posted at the request of my Auckland friends.  This can be used in place of the commercial curry power.  Also delicious as a dry rub for roast chicken. 
Give it a go...it will make a difference to your chicken, lamb or beef curries !


Yield : about a few tablespoon.

Ingredients :
5 cloves
10 black peppercorn
4 cardamon pod
2" cinnamon stick
2-4 Tbsp chilli powder
4 Tbsp coriander seed
1 tsp fennel seed
1 whole star anise
1 tsp tumeric powder

Method :
1. Partially roast the whole spices over low to medium heat until fragrant. Leave to cool.

2. Grind until fine with a coffee grinder.

3. Store in an airtight container and use as required.


Note :
Add as much or as little chilli powder as you like.  It all depends how hot you like your curries.

Tips :
1. Grind spices are best used within 6 months.  Whole spices can be kept for years.

2. In Auckland, I get all my whole spices in the Indian shops. Much cheaper.

3. For the chilli powder, I buy whole dry stemless chillies (again at Indian shops), dry it in the sun, toast it lightly, grind in a coffee grinder and store in airtight containers.  This is to ensure my chilli power is pure chilli powder with no other additives.

7 Comments:

Mel said...

Great to see you posting here again after such a long months quiet down. Sure do, I will definitely give this homemade meat curry powder a try. You sure do wonderful and great recipes here.

Shereen said...

Thank you, Sinner:) Much appreciated. Sandra has been bugging me to make some * roll eyes*.

Sinner said...

Mel : Thank you. Freshly made curry powder smells so fragrant.

Shereen : No problem. Have Sandra finished the 'small' portion I gave her already ! :)

Jen said...

So glad you're back. Missed yr post cos the recipes i tried in yr post all work out great especially the crunchy roast pork.

Unknown said...

Love your blog! I'm a brit living in the middle of America and have terrible trouble finding Golden syrup, so I just made your version and it's opened up a whole new world of baking! Hello Scottish flapjacks! Thank you. :)

Jeanne

Alice said...

wonderful! thks for sharing this :)

Anonymous said...

It's a bit different from what I used to make. I'll have to give this one a try. I know there's Indian shops here. It's just a matter of finding one or two.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs